Multitechnique UHV system for multilayer epitaxial films [project 022]
Custom multi-chamber UHV system for the analysis of atomic and electronic surface structure, investigation and preparation of complex epitaxial metallic or molecular films on surfaces and chemical analysis of interfaces in multilayer film samples.
Multi-chamber system designed around a central radial distribution chamber with attached analytical chambers and auxiliary chambers fulfilling the demands of sample transport under true UHV conditions (pressure lower than 10-10 mbar). The base pressure in the analytical chambers is < 5*10-11 mbar. The central radial distribution chamber is connected to a second distribution chamber with the same design via a reorientation chamber. The second system provides a connection to a commercial high performance XPS system and access to a second preparation chamber, load-lock and sample storage chamber.
- Multitechnique analytical chamber integrating several surface analysis methods;X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS), Monochromatic Ultraviolet Photoelectron Spectroscopy (UPS), Ion Scattering Spectroscopy (ISS) and Auger Electron Spectroscopy (AES). Sample positioning is via a stable, high precision, 5 axis manipulator with two rotational axes motorised. The sample receiving station is equipped with a LN2 cryostat that allows temperature variation over the range -180°C to 1000°C. The mu-metal chamber is equipped with a hemispherical analyser, X-ray source, UV source with monochromator, electron source and flood gun. The flexible design allows easy modification according to future scientific demands.
- The 5 axis manipulator and dedicated software allow the measurement of X-ray Photoelectron Diffraction data (XPD) with an angular resolution and repeatability of better then 0.1 degree.
- Chamber for Infrared Spectroscopy (FT-IR) with commercial IR spectrometer that can also be used as a standalone instrument. The sample can be heated and cooled during measurements and the chamber is equipped with gas dosing and electron beam evaporator for in-situ sample preparation.
- Three level preparation chamber, equipped with LEED, ion source, electron beam evaporator, Knudsen cells, and numerous ports which can be used for future expansion.
- Storage chamber for 6 sample holders.
- Load lock chamber prepared with detachable glove box for either simple sample loading or sample preparation under reduced oxygen and water atmosphere.